When moving, it is important you have utilities established in your name within the first few days of living in a new apartment. You can receive information on which utility company to call from your landlord, or by doing a quick search online.
The utilities you will need:
- Gas (if applicable)
In the gulf coast region, Entergy is the main provider of gas and electricity. To open an account with Entergy or another utility provider, you must first have the address of your new apartment or house. Call the utility company to speak with a representative about opening a new account in your name.
You will be asked FOR the following information:
- Drivers license number and state of issue
- Social security number
- Date of birth
- Telephone number
- Address of the property to be serviced (cross streets or additional directions may be required)
- Type of service to be provided
To START utilities in your name:
- You must be 18-years-old
- You must residing at that address
- You must either: have good credit; or, pay a deposit that is usually included in the first month’s bill
- Maintain timely payment in order to ensure utilities remain on (If you are unable to make a payment, contact the company to make an arrangement to pay)
Utilities can take between 1 to 3 business days to get turned on, so be sure to take timing into consideration when moving!
To Get Service Turned On:
Entergy New Orleans:
Sewage and Water Board: