- First, you will need to attend a driving school or GDL program which costs roughly $400. This program ensures that you will be prepared for the responsibility of operating a vehicle. You will get at least 30 hours of classroom instruction and 8 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction.
- You can get your learner’s permit once you are 15. This allows supervised practice driving with a licensed adult 21 years old and older. First, visit your local DMV with a parent or a guardian and provide a birth certificate, your Social Security card, proof of school enrollment, your driver’s education completion documentation, and the fee of $32.25. Parish fee will not be greater than $6. If you pass the vision exam and Louisiana DMV written test, you will have finished a big step in becoming a licensed driver! With your Louisiana learner’s permit, you may drive ONLY while accompanied by a licensed adult (or a licensed sibling at least 18-years-old)
- Intermediate driver’s license: Once you are 16 and you’ve held your learner’s permit for at least 180 days you can submit a signed statement confirming you’ve completed a total of 50 hours of supervised day-driving and 15 hours of night-driving. You will need to schedule a road test with the Louisiana OMV or at a third-party testing facility. The road skills test will gauge your ability to turn, stay in your lane, approach corners and more. The car you use must have a current brake tag, a valid registration sticker and certificate, and proof of insurance. Once you complete this, bring your learner’s permit, birth certificate, driver school documents, proof of school enrollment, and payment of $13 for the upgrade fee. (In addition, you may also have to pay a parish fee that will not be greater than $6.) An intermediate driver’s license allows:
- Unsupervised driving between 5 a.m. and 11 p.m.
- No more than 1 passenger younger than 21 years old between 6 p.m. and 5 a.m., unless:
- You are accompanied by a licensed adult.
- The passenger is an immediate family member.
- Full driver’s license: Once you are 17-years-old, you can upgrade your intermediate driver’s license. Just visit your local Louisiana DMV office with your intermediate driver’s license, birth certificate, Social Security Card, proof of school enrollment, driver school documents and a $13 upgrade fee. Parish fee will not be greater than $6. Congratulations!
- Driving schools in New Orleans: https://local.dmv.org/louisiana/orleans-parish/new-orleans/driving-school-and-drivers-ed.php
- Louisiana Drivers Guide: http://www.dmv.org/la-louisiana/driver-handbook.php
- Online practice test: http://www.dmv.org/la-louisiana/practice-tests/
- Application for License or ID card: http://dpsweb.dps.louisiana.gov/DPSForms.nsf/
- Application to register your vehicle: http://dpsweb.dps.louisiana.gov/DPSForms.nsf/
- Louisiana DMV locations: https://www.dmv.com/la/louisiana/dmv-office
- Break Tags: https://www.nola.gov/brake-tags/
Resources regarding parking your car in New Orleans http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/gettingaround/parking.html